TIMES-NEWS OPEN BOWLING TOURNAMENT RULES
50th Annual -
The tournament is open to the first 224 paid male or female entries
who meet one of the following criteria;
1) legal residence is within the boundaries of the Erie District Bowling
Assn 2) is bowling in a league sanctioned by the E.D.B.A. or E.D.W.B.A. and has bowled 21 or more games in such league during the current season at the time the tournament
commences, or 3) has competed in a
previous Times-News Open event. A temporary card will be accepted.
The committee reserves the right to
increase or decrease the size of the
filed at any time.
2. The tournament will consist of a ten (10) game qualifying round, followed by a semi-final round of six (6) games and a final round of sixteen (17) match games. Only the top forty-eight (48) bowlers after the first ten (10) games and then the top sixteen (16) qualifiers after sixteen (16) games will advance to the final round. Total pinfall will determine the position of the finalists. Ties for the sixteenth position will be broken by a one-game roll-off. Should this end up in a tie, sudden-death 9th and 10th frame roll-offs will be used until a winner is determined.
The finals will be bowled in accordance with the standard
sixteen team schedule with a position round used for the sixteenth game. All matches in the finals will be decided on the basis of total pins with the match winner receiving 30 additional bonus pins. In the event that a match is halved, each bowler will receive an additional 15 bonus pins. All matches will be one (1) game. In the event of a tie for first place after sixteen games, the individuals who are tied will bowl one (1) game to resolve the tie. If the tie is still not broken another game will be bowled. If the tie is still not broken the sudden-death procedure described above will be implemented. The qualifying totals WILL NOT be carried over into the finals.
There shall be no substitutions during the qualifying rounds, once bowling has commenced. Should a bowler have to withdraw before the start of the qualifier, the position shall be filled from the stand-by list. Otherwise, only pacers shall be used to fill vacancies and all entry fees and prize money shall be forfeited. In the event of a withdrawal of a finalist, prior to the finals, the first alternate (17th place) shall move up to the last qualifying position and all finalists shall move up one position until the vacancy is filled. Should a substitute be required once the finals have begun, the lowest numbered available qualifier shall be used, starting with the seventeenth position. A penalty of one hundred (100) pins shall be imposed on the score of the bowler being replaced.
Should a contestant be forced to withdraw once his/her entry has been paid, he/she shall be refunded only the prize money portion of his/her entry. However, there will be no refund if a replacement cannot be found to fill his spot or, the withdrawal occurs after the bowling commences.
The entry fee is $75.00 which includes the prize fee
($41.00), expenses ($9.00), qualifier bowling ($19.00) and finals' bowling (6.00). All bowling in the finals will be paid from entry fees.
There will be no practice on the tournament lanes at any time during the day of the tournament (this applies only to those lanes to be used by the individual bowlers). The penalty for violation of this rule is disqualification. Practice is allowed on any other lanes in the house up to ten (10) minutes prior to the start of competition.
7. Entries shall be subject to acceptance by the tournament committee which shall be the sole judge as to the acceptance or rejection of any and all entries.
The tournament shall be conducted under
USBC tournament rules and regulations, and any rules not specifically stated herein shall be handled in accordance with the appropriate
9. Each bowler shall have his/her choice of starting squad for the first day's bowling only, and this is only on a first come first serve basis. There will be no switching shifts. Bowlers will bowl
one of the following combinations: A=First/Second, B=Second/First.
During the qualifier bowlers will move to their right after each game and begin on the opposite (odd or even) lane that they started their prior game on. (Example: Game 1 on lane 3, Game 2 on lane 8).
Whether pair(s) are skipped or not is left
up to the discretion of the tournament
11. No entries will be accepted prior to
November 1, 2012 and ALL ENTRIES MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY A COMPLETED ENTRY FORM AND THE FULL ENTRY FEE OF
$75. Entries close Saturday, January 5,
2013 at 1:00 p.m. Only cash will be accepted for entries after
December 31, 2012.